Thursday, January 27, 2011

Booze Billboards Near Beverly Hills

The first real "topic" post I did on this thing was about Four Loko's banning and subsequent non-caffeinated re-release. I still think this is total horse-hockey, which is why I was mad while driving to the gym to see this rather douche-y billboard (at least the photo was taken during near-magic hour, so the sky looks pretty):






It's not the best quality, as I took it out of my window driving away from it during a green light, but it's an absinthe add with a bottle that just has green spooky eyes on it with the phrase "Lights, Camera, Absinthe." You see, because we're in Hollywood, and we are all Hollywood types, the add caters to us.

Anyways, the website says that it's the first legal absinthe with proper wormwood standards and stuff to be released in a long while in the States, which is awesome. Totally awesome; stupid slogan and Halloween spooky eye bottle design aside, it's nice to have a once-illegal drink made legal, and at 124 proof, no less.

The reason I'm mad about this, however, is if we can get absinthe legally now, why the hell does Four Loko have to go all decaf on us? As I pointed out before, it's not hard to find a loophole in that (pour Red Bull in a can of Four Loko and you have Four Loko Classic).

I hate to get all socio-economic on this blog, mostly because I don't know what I'm talking about when I start talking about this stuff, but I find it annoying that a long-illegal thing at 60 bucks a bottle should be made legal when Four Loko is being denied the privilege of getting people fucked up. That means the hard working folk who wanna get mad crazy drunk and maybe hallucinate a bit are denied that, while the fat cats can have whatever crazy absinthe parties they want*.

I'm a man of simple principles. Mainly, one principle: I like the idea of having whatever type of booze I want; I feel like it's my civil liberty, mostly because I'm kind of stupid and don't really understand intricacies, but nonetheless, keep absinthe illegal if we can't imbibe Four Loko Classic.

Or, even better, just make Four Loko and absinthe both legal. Kids will figure out ways to get alcohol poisoning even with an absence of those two.

*See what I was talking about, not knowing anything about socio-economics?

No comments:

Post a Comment