Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spencer Versus NBA 2K11 (Or: Spencer Had A Worthless Day)

This blog is coming quite late compared to most of my posts, but I have a good reason for that.

Wait, sorry, I meant terrible reason.

I did have a optometrist appointment today; I got a glaucoma test (because I'm old now) and some baller new frames (because I'm baller now*), that could count as my excuse, I guess. But no, I was back by noon from that.

I spent the afternoon learning a loophole in NBA 2k11 and trying to exploit that to make my Create-A-Superstar character really fast.

Then I realized I'm less than a week away from being twenty-two and spent hours on end playing video games and nothing else. Then, desperate to rectify the fact that I spent my day as a mostly worthless human being, something I shouldn't be doing at this age, I decided that I'd try to learn a lesson from this all.

The lesson is that it is nice to know that humans can still outsmart machines. I know, that's a stretch, but as someone who worries about technology taking over and enslaving humans (the real side-effect of my parents showing me Terminator films at an early age, as opposed to the violence it was supposed to ingrain in my head) more than the average person, it's good to know that we can still use ingenuity and trickiness to fool machines of sorts.

Computers may have the intelligence, but we have the intangibles.

*Obviously not true, evidenced by the fact that I used the word "baller" twice in one sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment