Saturday, January 29, 2011

Learning One's Place

If you acknowledge yourself as an active fan of hip hop and/or good music and I've seen you recently, there's a good chance I've mentioned Jay Electronica to you in the past couple weeks. He's been around for a while, but his lack of solid albums or single releases to the mainstream means he's eluded me for about three years (not that this is a hard thing to do; I don't exactly think myself as being incredibly hip hop savvy). I first heard a popular song of his, "Exhibit C," on one of Donald Glover's mixtapes.

The time I heard Jay Electronica rap over it was out of the corner of my ear one evening when "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" transitioned to "Last Call with Carson Daly" without me really noticing. Here's the song, followed by why I'm writing about this:



It's a neat song, but today I was thinking about the fact that I heard about it from Carson Daly's show. For those who don't watch it (and why would you? It was really bad for a long time), the format of the show has switched from a normal talk show format to a guerrilla style interview show where they take little equipment to remote locations and talk to people.

More important to note, is that Carson Daly has tried to stop being anything other than conversationally droll. No more comedy bits, monologues, etc. This is probably because Daly realized he is decidedly not funny, and never was funny. He just spends his time making dopey kids who stay up late notice some small cool stuff, such as Jay Electronica. This doesn't mean I watch his show all the time, it's just nice to know that this is what happens after Fallon now, as opposed to something painful.

I'm proud of him for realizing that he's not funny, and cutting it out altogether. It's something I'm still coming to grips with, and probably never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment