Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Writing Comedy Bits in Dreams

Either last night or the night before, I had a strange free-form dream where almost nothing happened but small, slightly quirky things; it's alarming how often my dreams resemble bad indie dramedies (and I know no one wants to hear about people's dreams, but whatever, I'm shot for ideas today; it was this or pictures i took on my camera phone walking to the gym).

Anyway, somewhere between an older Mexican lady reheating marijuana-infused food products in my house's microwave as an effort to not tempt the people she lived with (I guess) and me going to a bar, there was a part where I was laughing to myself while talking through a stand-up joke. Like, laughing pretty hard, which I never do at a joke I think of because let's face it, I'm only marginally funny for the most part. In my mind I thought, "shit, I should be writing this down; I guess I'll do that when I wake up."

Wrong fucking decision, dream Spencer. Of course, I wake up and remember that I laughed myself silly in the dreamscape, but went to the bar instead of remembering it. I feel like that is a sign that even my subconscious is randomly piecing together images that are telling me to get my shit together.

But man, I really wish I had remembered that joke. Just to even confirm that it was not funny. Because if it was truly funny, how bad would I feel about not writing it down?

No comments:

Post a Comment