Monday, February 14, 2011

Random Thoughts on a Holiday I'm Wholly Ambivalent Towards

I was hoping to write something heartfelt and insightful regarding Valentine's Day, preferably something that involved a profound lesson and some sweet sadness and whatnot with some good self-deprecating jokes. You know, sappy stuff.

As it stands though, it seems like I spend every Valentine's Day not really caring about much of anything. Seriously, I can't even rebel against the idea of it being a manufactured type holiday and whatnot. In fact, when I look back on the past couple of years around this time, I'm generally having a good time, or doing something unusual for me with a newfound (and short-lived) coolness and confidence, and never does this translate into normal Valentine-y stuff. I think this has a lot to do with just hanging out with my friends and having little obligations at this time of the year. Maybe I should buy my friends chocolate.

Anyway, with nothing insightful to talk about, how about I tell you about the least insightful thing I can? A snippet from my dream, with that in mind: I had a bowl of cereal and was talking to my roommate about how he left a carton of milk out that had since gone bad. Once I had finished pouring milk into my Frosted Flakes, I realized that I had been pouring half and half in to my bowl, not milk. My roommate smiled smugly at my gaffe and said "I told you so."

But here's where I call bullshit, because he definitely didn't tell me so. Apparently, my roommate is a dick in my dreamscape*.

Hoping to counteract the fact that I poured half and half in, I thought it'd make sense to pour some milk in on top of the half and half. This time I made sure I got the milk out, and began to pour.

Only to find out the milk was chunky and had gone bad, even in the fridge. That plan backfired real bad.

But I was resolved to not waste food for some reason in this dream. So I tried to eat the rotten milk-half and half-Frosted Flakes concoction anyways.

I took one bite while roomie looked on, very entertained at my misfortune (what a dick*). "This was not a good idea," I said.

Now, if I took dreams as anything regarding meaningful, I'd stay away from cereal for a while, or at least put champagne in the cereal to make sure I wouldn't get screwed by sour milk.

But, much like Valentine's Day, dreams are pretty arbitrary. If I do get got by sour milk, it's probably as random as any badass happenings that occur around this time of the year for me.

Hey, look at that, I ended up making my random thoughts relate to my opinion of the holiday I don't care about. I wish I could say I planned that, but I think it's just the law of averages that I'd do something clever every once in a while if I wrote on this thing every day.

*He's not in real life; he's decidedly nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment