Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kyle Kinane's CD is Neat

I brought up Kyle Kinane recently in the context of having seen some Youtube videos and watched him at a standup showcase.

In case you didn't know, if I get something I enjoy in my head, I will throw myself headfirst into scouring the internet for all available information on a given topic. Lord knows that in the years I became a football fan I have looked at so many non-professional mock drafts to see who the Chargers might draft with their first (and if it's close enough to the draft, second and third) pick(s). This is honestly not a good thing; for every mock draft I read in the year 2008, I'm pretty sure no one saw Larry English coming.

Quick tangent that I mention anytime that guy comes up. My friend posted a facebook status regarding the pick, saying "Larry who?" And to this day, I wish I had a Youtube clip on hand of Jules Winfield saying "ENGLISH MOTHAFUCKA, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!?" in classic Samuel L. Jackson yell. I still hope that one day English becomes a top flight linebacker so I can post that video somewhere on the internet after he has like a four-sack game when it matters. Not that any of this matters for this post, just thought it would be clever. Just be lucky I'm not talking about my hypothetical Jonathan Crompton headline situations.

Anyway, Kinane became my obsession for the week. I discovered multiple good things that came from being obsessed with him.

1) I'm Dead and it's All My Fault. Quick little quips of a fictional obnoxious idiot outlining horrendously dangerous situations to his roommate/friend/bandmate Doug. I have yet to show someone this website while I scan through the page on my own and not have the person reading over my shoulder chuckle aloud. Granted, this is only Zach, my roommate, but I showed our friend Chris the website too, and he seemed to enjoy it.

2) I mentioned earlier that Kinane is a master of downer comedy. This much is true. But I bought his CD "Death of the Party" last night after a podcast with him on it I was listening to said I should buy it post-haste. I then made the mistake of listening to the whole album while I was trying to go to sleep, which got me way too amped to sleep, forcing me to stay up for a couple more hours watching less-great comedy on Comedy Central.

Again, I'm getting away from the point. Listening to Kinane's act as a whole reveals a lot more than downer comedy. I was jumping the gun on that. He is definitely a bit of a downer, but to serve a purpose.

Said purpose is a tempering of romanticism and idealism, and honestly, that is needed nowadays. He has moments of clarity where decidedly small moments can remind people of the good stuff in the world. They're not what are outlined in movies, tv, or even overly-idealistic Facebook statuses as the magic in the world, but rather just small tidbits of human decency.



But I guess I'm getting away from the main benefit of Kyle Kinane, which is that the dude is just really, really, really funny. You guys should all check out Death of the Party. Since I probably will be driving at least half of my readership at a car at some point in the near future, you will definitely all hear it when you're in my car. I'm doing my best to fight the good fight.

By the way, I have yet to write a feature script, and getting one done by Sunday will be nothing short of miraculous. I'll keep you updated, unless I fail. If I succeed though, expect me to laud myself on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment