Thursday, February 3, 2011

Future Me

I'm going to drop a weird recurring thought of mine on you guys today.

Let's say you're at a public establishment, preferably by yourself because it works better that way. If you're with people and do this, you kind of come off as a jackass or autistic (I think I can pull off both at different times). You start people watching, because let's face it, you only brought the book to look cool, even if you did try to convince yourself you were going to read five pages before your food got there, rendering you unable to continue reading without sacrificing an eating hand.

You see someone significantly older than you. There's something strange about this person, be it posture, a movement, a facial feature, or even a shirt they're wearing.

Now, in your mind, do you immediately assume this person could very well be you from the future, spying on yourself when you were younger?

Because I sure as hell do. And not even in a joking way. My mind actually tricks itself into thinking this for five seconds before I can say, "fuck off, that would never happen."

But even after I say that, my mind still kind of believes it could be me. It's an impossible-to-correct compulsion, I think. No matter how much I can convince myself that time travel is a near-impossibility, the promise of a non-linear existence in time and space proves to be way more comforting and totally neato in compared to the accepted truths.

And when I finally do get the opportunity to time travel, I'll jump for joy (embarrassing whatever scientist gave me the opportunity) and say, "Fantastic, take me to the Blockbuster Video off of Avocado at around 3:45 on July 14th, 2003. I got some thoughts that need confirmin'"

No comments:

Post a Comment